Sunday 22 May 2016

If you're content with who you are, don't change.

https://www.stocksy.com/981628
Drunken conversations with your mates are the best. Your guards are down and the truth begins to spill out. I wish people were always as honest as they are when they're drunk. Drunk conversations are sometimes quite refreshing.

I’m definitely someone who worries too much about things that are out of my control, so most evenings I lay in bed going over situations that have happened to me and think how I would handle them differently if they were to occur now.

Friday night I got quite drunk with a close friend and because it was just the two of us we didn’t play games, we had a long talk about all sorts of things, mainly about relationships. Now, had anyone said something out loud that’s made you pause for a second, because it all of a sudden made sense? Like something finally clicked?

I was talking about a past ‘relationship' and how I changed my views and thoughts in order to be the same as him, because at the time I was so in awe of him, everything he said I assumed were right. 
I said something along these lines to my friend “Back then, I acted a certain way to try and please him. I’d argue with everyone and anyone who would have a different view to him, including close friends. He made me become more cynical because I was apparently too innocent and that I’d get hurt.”

My friend then replied “But that’s not you. You’re not a cynical and skeptical person. You’re bubbly and happy. Don’t change for nobody”. That’s when it clicked.

I’m such a happy, cheerful person who sees the good in everyone and I’ve never really had a problem with that. Now, some people would mistake me for being naive and that I’m not ‘in the real world’, but they couldn’t be more wrong because I have my head screwed on. I just choose to see good in everyone. I’m not ignorant and child like, which is what I was made to feel like.

I was told that the way I view people will get me hurt and I should be more cynical and less trusting. He has a point, I guess. You need to be aware that not everyone is good and some people are out to hurt you. But this links back to what I said earlier, about me having my head screwed on. I know when someones trying to hurt me and I know when to defend myself. I would much rather go through life the way I have been, optimistic and happy, than to be cynical and distrustful, questioning peoples motives.

I haven’t blogged for a while, but since Friday this has stuck with me. I guess the whole point of this post is to try and encourage people to not change for anyone. If you’ve got views and opinions which you are happy with and someone tries to change them, don’t. Don’t change who you are in order to please someone else or to make someone else happy if you’re already content with who you are. If they love you enough, they’ll appreciate you and everything you believe in, whether they agree or not.


Do you, boo!

No comments :

Post a Comment